How Many Rows?
KindaCrazy
Professional
KindaCrazy
4 years, 1 month ago by KindaCrazy
Hello, I'm new here and I've never made an alpha before, but I want to make a few over the coming summer so I can give one to each of my friends before the oldest of us leaves for college next fall. One of the patterns I picked out has the key word "Keychain", which has me thinking it's probably going to be shorter than bracelet-length. The pattern should be super easy to make longer, except that I would want the design centered. I'm just curious if anybody here has any idea approximately how many rows it takes to make a bracelet about six inches long (about 15 cm) if I tie my knots really tightly (like as tight as humanly possible without breaking the strings)?

P.S. I forgot all of my thread at somebody else's house and can't get it back for the time being. If I had it, I would be experimenting.
Someone_
Bracelet King
Someone_
4 years, 1 month ago by Someone_
For rows anywhere between 60-90 (overall) is a good length for the average bracelet, it tends to fit around the wrist nicely, and you still have space for the ties too. Most people tend to work out the centering by adding an even number of rows to both sides of the pattern, you may have to exclude one or two from one side, but that method does work.
BeadGirl16
Bracelet King
BeadGirl16
4 years, 1 month ago by BeadGirl16
@KindaCrazy you can do a practice pattern and see how many rows it takes to make an inch worth of knots. As a reference for me about 14 rows is one inch, and I do tend to tie my knots fairly tight. But everyone is different. What pattern are you trying to make?
wildcat253
Bracelet King
wildcat253
4 years, 1 month ago by wildcat253
Masha Knots has a tutorial on how to center a design in her Alpha Bracelet Life Hacks video. Hope that helps!
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
4 years, 1 month ago by halokiwi
Since you can only start making the keychains once you have your material back I suggest you experiment then. Until then you can add patterns to your loves or to-dos and once you know how many rows you need you can pick from these patterns.
KindaCrazy
Professional
KindaCrazy
4 years, 1 month ago by KindaCrazy
Thanks so much, everyone! I think I've got a plan in place now, and I do think your advice certainly helped!

@BeadGirl16, the specific one in question is #31036, but there's also like four other patterns I intend to make, too.
BeadGirl16
Bracelet King
BeadGirl16
4 years, 1 month ago by BeadGirl16
@KindaCrazy glad you’ve got a plan! We’re here to help if you run into issues. 🙂