Help! Straight Edges
tennistime
Bracelet King
tennistime
4 years, 1 month ago by tennistime
So I just started using the straight edges technique, but it isn’t working. At different parts in the bracelet it widens, and at other parts it gets skinnier. I’m tying all my knots the same so I don’t know what’s wrong. Also I’m using the segment knotting method. If you want to see the pattern the pattern is #27060.
Someone_
Bracelet King
Someone_
4 years, 1 month ago by Someone_
That's a matter of tension. You may be pulling some tight, and then some looser (or vice versa) without maybe realizing you are doing so. The only way to really fix that is to make sure the tension is the same throughout the entire bracelet; it takes a while to master it but a lot of practice and experimenting will help to solve the issue.
Also keep in mind that different thickness of strings will produce different size knots; so if you're using different sizes of string, that could be the problem too.
Pippa
Bracelet King
Pippa
4 years, 1 month ago by Pippa
Some patterns are always crooked
tennistime
Bracelet King
tennistime
4 years, 1 month ago by tennistime
@Someone_ @Pippa thank you, this is my first time actually trying the method out, I’m using the same brand of string though...
Someone_
Bracelet King
Someone_
4 years, 1 month ago by Someone_
Ah okay. If you don't think you are changing tension, like Pippa said the way some patterns are they tend to do that just because of the knotting structure, so it could be that. If that's the case you could just 'stretch' the bracelet a little by pulling the 'thinner' section gently, or pulling the strings down after a section of knots; that used to work for me when I was having troubles with my tension.
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
4 years, 1 month ago by halokiwi
If your strings have a different thickness from each other that could also be the reason but I don't think that's it.

With practice you'll be able to knot more smoothly and your knots will look more and more alike. It just takes a bit of time and practice. Especially when trying a new technique sometimes we go back to knotting more uneven than we usually do.