Straight Edges Technique
scamac1248
Professional
scamac1248
4 years, 1 month ago by scamac1248
Okay so I've been trying the straight edges technique lately like from Masha Knot's video but in my opinion my patterns have been coming out more crooked than before so I don't really know what to do. I feel like the strings that are meant to keep the edges straight also end up being crooked. Should I just not do the technique or how can I actually get it to work?
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
4 years, 1 month ago by halokiwi
If you look at pattern that only have bf and fb knots often they turn out wonky as well. People seem to be struggling with these knots but I think it comes down to practice.

Make sure when doing a fb or bf knot you hold the string you're knotting on very straight. Bf and fb knots have a tendency of pulling the string you're knotting on to one side. You want to avoid that.

Make sure you do your knots as close to the previous knot as possible. The position of the knot and therefore the tightness of the bracelet is determined by the first half of the knot. Make sure you pull it as far to the top as possible. The second half of the knot only secures it in place.

Are you working on an alpha or normal pattern?
Someone_
Bracelet King
Someone_
4 years, 1 month ago by Someone_
When you are making the first half of the knot, make sure it's sitting firmly against the knot(s) above it; pull it a little tight and to get it in the correct place rather than pulling tighter (which causes bracelets to curve) push it up with your nail; and then proceed to secure it with the second half of the knot.
When making knots in general, to get things 'straighter', I always hold the base string (the string you are making the knot onto) straight down.
Also, with normal patterns you are generally going to see slight curves in some bracelets, and this is completely normal if there are an uneven knots going in each direction, because there's nothing pulling it back to straighten it out.
Keep in mind that some techniques won't work for every individual that makes bracelets because everyone knots differently, its all about what works best for you. With some techniques you may have to tweak it to suit you and your style.
Take the time to mess around with different ways to see what works for you to prevent this, for example; pulling the strings downwards to 'stretch it in place' - there is no right or wrong way. Practicing as much as you can will also play a big part.
scamac1248
Professional
scamac1248
@halokiwi and @Someone_ thank you for the help. Yes I did this for both an alpha and a normal pattern but I will follow your suggestions and change things around until I find the best way to make bracelets for me. Thank you.
Someone_
Bracelet King
Someone_
4 years, 1 month ago by Someone_
You're welcome! 😊❤️ If you need any tips or ideas, I am always open to helping.🙂
scamac1248
Professional
scamac1248
@Someone_ Thank you and same here even though I doubt you need it. 😂