Pattern #29612
Airry332
Professional
Airry332
4 years, 1 month ago by Airry332
So I am trying to make this pattern for my first challenge and was super excited to start. I wanted to make a regular loop and then just attach that to a keyring. I cut my 17 base strings and the lead string to make 18. Well, I folded my 17 strings and then made my loop to find I now had 34 strings total (17 on each side of the loop) and my lead string. What should I do so that I do it correctly next time?
lazrbeam
Skiller
lazrbeam
4 years, 1 month ago by lazrbeam
So I’m pretty sure you can’t do a fold loop on alphas, so I recommend finding tutorials for key rings or starting alphas because I’m not good at explaining. Masha Knots on YouTube has an excellent playlist beginning and finishing all types of bracelets so I recommend those videos. Other then that I think there are a few tutorials on BB if it helps.
Airry332
Professional
Airry332
I have looked at Masha Knots tutorials as they are easy to understand. However I will look more into that specific topic. Thank you for your help!
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
4 years, 1 month ago by halokiwi
You need 17 base strings. If you take 17 and fold them in half that's 34, so way to much.

What I'd do is fold 8 strings in half. That means you've got 16 strings. And then you take your leading string and fold it as well so that one part is as long as the base strings (it's your 17th base string) and the other end is your working string.

Unlike @lazrbeam said it is possible to do a loop for an alpha by folding the string. Only thing you have to pay attention to is that you have the right amount of base strings in the end. If you fold your strings in half one string becomes two strings. You have to keep that in mind.
lazrbeam
Skiller
lazrbeam
4 years, 1 month ago by lazrbeam
@halokiwi @Airry332 sorry for the misinformation. I was unsure myself, but I still wanted to provide help on tutorials. Thanks for letting me know and now I might try that technique now.
Airry332
Professional
Airry332
@halokiwi @lazrbeam Thank you for the explanations and help. I will definitely try the technique next time!