knot tension consistency
cheeewy
Skiller
cheeewy
1 month ago by cheeewy
Hiii 🥰
I was making an alpha bracelet recently and I noticed that my bracelet was stiff in some places and more flexible in others. 😢 I’m pretty sure this is because of the knot tension and how tightly (or loosely) I tie each kno. I’d like some tips on how to keep them all the same tightness. 🥺
Thank you so much 😘
- cheeewy
Hasti13900
Skiller
Hasti13900
1 month ago by Hasti13900
Hello @cheeewy, the reason why it is tight in some places and loose in other places is that you pull the knots too much and it gets tight, but if you pull the knots slowly, it will loosen and cause the knots to be uneven.🙃♥
Hunniebuns
Advanced
Hunniebuns
1 month ago by Hunniebuns
Hi! I don't make alphas but I notice that if I knot in the same position it helps. So if I start a bracelet knotting at my desk, I try to make sure I stay at my desk.
cheeewy
Skiller
cheeewy
1 month ago by cheeewy
Hi @Hasti13900 !
Thanks for the reply 🙂
I was wondering, do you recommend for me to make the knots tighter or looser?
Also, any tips on how to keep them consistent???
Thanks~~ 😊
Hasti13900
Skiller
Hasti13900
Yes, I will help you
1. Look, in my opinion, the tighter the bobafi is, the better because it doesn't loosen and is more stylish and beautiful.
2. In order for the alpha to be woven straight and not crooked, do not constantly remove the bracelet from under the clamp, and the bracelet will remain fixed under the clamp until the end.
3. In the tutorials you can find a video that teaches you how to make your alpha braid on both sides.
I am Iranian and I translate English from Google translation, so sometimes the words and sentences may be difficult to understand 😬
Hasti13900
Skiller
Hasti13900
You can use a chassis board to keep it steady
I think it is the same chassis board or clip in English
cheeewy
Skiller
cheeewy
1 month ago by cheeewy
Thank you so much for the tips @Hasti13900 !!!
I'll make sure to try to use a clipboard for my next project and make my knots as tight as possible 😉
wiland
Bracelet King
wiland
1 month ago by wiland
Honestly the general tightness of your knots looks pretty good based on your last alpha picture. If you get them too tight on an alpha then it will elongate the pattern (I know this because I started by pulling my alphas waaay too tight). Here's my best tips, or at least what worked for me:

⭐ If you don't already, I'd get a small plastic ruler. After each row (or every other row), use the ruler to push the row up tight, tight against the previous row and get it perfectly straight horizontally.

⭐ After maybe 5 rows or so, check your edges to make sure they're not pulling in, or pushing out. If they're scrunching in, tug on the edge base strings to pull them back out and aligned with the previous rows. If they're nudging out, use your fingernail to push the edges back towards the middle. If you do this consistently then you'll have much straighter edges. One of the main things that causes uneven edges is when you have rows without color changes. Everyone tends to pull those rows a little tighter, causing them to pull in. Try to do those rows even a little looser.

⭐ I use the clip on a clipboard to hold my normals, but not my alphas. Alpha knots can slide easily on the base strings and I feel like the clip makes them move when I don't want them to. I actually use the back of a plastic clipboard for alphas. I use packaging tape to secure the loop (or whatever method you are starting with). Every 10ish rows I tape across the entire bracelet with washi tape. Washi tape won't yank on your thread nearly as bad as packaging tape when you try to remove it, but it does help hold it in place nicely as you move down the bracelet.

⭐ Finally, try to avoid color changes on the first two or last two knots of each row. I've been known to add an extra base string to each side if I don't like how close to the edges the color changes are, although that doesn't work with every pattern.

Let me know if you have any specific questions or if any of this doesn't make sense. 🤪
cheeewy
Skiller
cheeewy
1 month ago by cheeewy
Thank you so much @wiland for the detailed help 😇

I've seen people tape across their bracelets and use rulers to straighten out their alphas and I think it's a great idea.
I did have another question though. You mentioned that pulling too hard on the strings will cause the pattern to elongate. This actually happens to me quite often, so, do you have any other tips for that as well??
wiland
Bracelet King
wiland
1 month ago by wiland
Yes, so when you pull a knot too tight it changes the ratio of the knot. Instead of it being relatively square, it gets thinner and longer. When you loosen up your knot then you get a nice puffy square, but there is such a thing as too loose too!

If your knots are loose enough, which they look like they are in your case, then you just need to scoot the rows together tighter by using that ruler to push them up.
cheeewy
Skiller
cheeewy
1 month ago by cheeewy
Ah ok
Thank you so much for your help!! 😇