Lanyard: managing long strings (normal)
ArtyBlizz
Advanced
ArtyBlizz
1ย month ago by ArtyBlizz
I'm thinking about making a lanyard for my referee whistle using a normal pattern with 8 strings. Is there a way that's known to be the easiest? I was thinking that if I usually cut 1 to 1,5 meters for bracelets, I'm gonna be needing a lot of string for a lanyard. I've heard there are ways to add string if you run out, but will that look bad (and how do you even do it)? Do people bundle their string and make the knots in a way where they lift the bundle through the loop instead of pulling all the string. A lanyard feels so labour intensive that I don't want to waste time only to ruin it or do it the hardest possible way.
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
1ย month ago by halokiwi
I once made a shoe lace (candystripe with 6 strings). I just left the string on the skein and cut it in the end.

But if you would rather work with shorter strings, here is a video on how you can replace strings:
https://youtu.be/vJopcAcJqiA

This should not be visible at least if you have a decent knotting tension
ArtyBlizz
Advanced
ArtyBlizz
1ย month ago by ArtyBlizz
Thanks! The video is very good! I guess I'll cut decently long strings and I'll feel more secure knowing that if I run out I can do what the video shows.
Hunniebuns
Advanced
Hunniebuns
1ย month ago by Hunniebuns
I know some people keep their string on bobbins. I prefer to just replace the string.