Alpha length
KntyKnight
Skiller
KntyKnight
1 month, 3 weeks ago by KntyKnight
What would be recommend base string length for a Alpha pattern that is 75x80?
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
1 month, 3 weeks ago by halokiwi
Have you made an alpha before? If yes, you can measure how long a certain amount of rows is and use that to calculate how long 80 rows will be. Add some extra for loops, ties etc. The length needed depends on how tight you knot and which materials you use.
KntyKnight
Skiller
KntyKnight
Not really. I have never done anything big before. Only names and a few small keychains. I'm wanting to do a wall hanging with this pattern and would really like to get the length right before I jump into it lol. I use embroidery thread but not sure what other information about it I can give.
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
It doesn't matter that you haven't done a big alpha before, as long as you have done small alphas before, that's all the information you need.

Could you do me a favour and measure how long ten rows are in one of your keychains? For 80 rows you need eight times what you need for ten rows and of course some extra for ties etc.
KntyKnight
Skiller
KntyKnight
Ten rows Measures a lil over 1 inch..
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
Then you need a lil over 8 inches, let's do 9 and then some extra just to be save 🙂
KntyKnight
Skiller
KntyKnight
Thank you so much. Another quick question would I do 18 folded/knotted over my wall hanging stick?
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
Yes, if you fold them, you need double the length

Also make sure that you have enough for the ties or whatever you want to do in the end
KntyKnight
Skiller
KntyKnight
Ok so maybe 22 inches? I'm not exactly sure how I am going to end it yet I haven't looked at my options yet. I have one last question sorry I'm asking so much. So if my pattern begins with forward knots once I reach the end of the row do I end it with a regular knot then begin the next row with backwards or when ending/switching to next?
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
I think that length should probably be fine 🙂

In alphas you alternate full rows of forward knots with full rows of backward knots.
You do a full row of forward knots and then in the next row, you do a full row of backward knots.

If you tag me like this @halokiwi, I'll get a notification about your reply and will probably be able to reply faster.
KntyKnight
Skiller
KntyKnight
@halokiwi ok thank you so much for your help I truly do appreciate it alot
KntyKnight
Skiller
KntyKnight
@halokiwi hey another question.... Do you not need long base strings? I'm currently cutting mine and decided to be safe to do a lil bit more then 22 inches and yet it still seems kinda short to me..

(Not familiar with alphas and with my normal patterns I always measured my strings by my wingspan maybe I'm just use to that?)
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
It always depends on the amount of rows you do.
The base strings need to be the length of your finished item plus some extra.
80 rows is not that long.
For me 85 rows are needed for a bracelet. So you can imagine it's not very long.
Maybe you should tie a few more smaller alphas to gain some more experience before doing an alpha of this size. Then you should feel more confident.
Or you could tie a bracelet of 80 rows to see which length it has.
KntyKnight
Skiller
KntyKnight
Thanks that's actually a really good idea I do need more experience doing alphas. 🙂