What am I doing wrong when I am making alphas?
Hazieb123
Professional
Hazieb123
4 years, 2 months ago by Hazieb123
When I make alphas and I start switching colors the edge knots go under the bracelet. This happens everytime I make an alpha bracelet.Does anyone know a solution for that and why it happens?
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
4 years, 2 months ago by halokiwi
I think you might be pulling the strings too tight when you switch colours. Make sure that when you switch colours the string on the back is more loose and doesn't make the bracelet curl.
Margaron
Margaron
4 years, 2 months ago by Margaron
@halokiwi is right, it sounds like you’re pulling your strings too tight. Remember it’s the same string you’re pushing forwards and back and it’s carrying across the back of your work. If you pull too tight, because it’s the same string, your knots are trying to be side by side. Be gentle and give it a little more slack and you should solve the problem! 😊
FaithKit
Professional
FaithKit
4 years, 2 months ago by FaithKit
I completely agree with the suggestion about tension. Another suggestion that might help is to make all left edge knots BF knots and all right edge knots FB knots. So, you would disregard the pattern for all leftmost edge knots and rightmost edge knots and instead do BF for all left edges and FB for all right edges. You will see that this lands the string in toward the bracelet as opposed to away from it in some cases (depending on the direction of the knot shown in the pattern). This has been helped me tremendously with creating straight edges and creating a clean finished piece.
Hope that makes sense, let me know if you have questions 😊
Hazieb123
Professional
Hazieb123
4 years, 2 months ago by Hazieb123
Thank you I will totally try these tips!
Audrey07
Bracelet King
Audrey07
4 years, 1 month ago by Audrey07
This may be kinda obvious but make sure your crossing your knots on top of the base string
Pippa
Bracelet King
Pippa
4 years, 1 month ago by Pippa
Masha knots has a good video about flat alphas
livife0816
Professional
livife0816
4 years, 1 month ago by livife0816
From what you have described it seems as though you are pulling your edge strings too tight when you switch the color. Maybe try loosening it up a bit, and just experiment. It really is just reliant on a lot of practice, and patience.