string length
muirb_xxx
Bracelet King
muirb_xxx
4 years, 3 months ago by muirb_xxx
Hi, I’ve been making bracelets for ages but took a 6 year break from 2013 and started back in 2019 so I have an idea of how to make them, I’ve been trying to make longer bracelets since most of them ended up being keychains cuz I gave up on the pattern not even half way in, My bracelets now tend to be 5-6-7 inches but when I prepare for a bracelet I use a whole skein of thread for one bracelet and some patterns have 2-12 colours so I’m using that many skein per colour, should I be using that much thread? I’m anxious that I spent a lot of time to realise it’s not going to look finished and I don’t have enough string left to finish it. Please consider leaving a tip below!
plant-dad
Bracelet King
plant-dad
4 years, 3 months ago by plant-dad
For most patterns, I use a kind of weird measurement. I take the end of one string, hold it in my right hand, and stretch the skein across to my left shoulder. This is how I measure only one string length. After, I just cut my other string to the same length as the one I measured across my shoulder. In my opinion, I think it’s a bit too much to be using a whole skein for one color. Every string will be about one meter, so that is usually enough for most patterns. Also, with this method, you can usually get about eight strings out of one skein. Hope this helped!
muirb_xxx
Bracelet King
muirb_xxx
@plant-dad thank you so much! I had a feeling I was using wayyy to much string 😅 so i should do it about wingspan length to each shoulder? Perfect thank you 😊
plant-dad
Bracelet King
plant-dad
4 years, 3 months ago by plant-dad
@muirb_xxx You’re welcome! I had problems figuring out how much string to use (I still do sometimes lol). Hope your bracelet making goes well!
el526320
Bracelet King
el526320
4 years, 3 months ago by el526320
I do wingspan for when I'm doing a loop and to 2nd shoulder when I'm not. That's for about 12-6 strings normally. For anything more I add about 3 inches per 2 strings. It does tend to run aa bit long but it's better to have to much string than too little. 😄
muirb_xxx
Bracelet King
muirb_xxx
@el526320 tysm!!!
javret
Skiller
javret
4 years, 3 months ago by javret
For normal patterns I cut my strings to the length of this rug I have (weird measurement unit but works great. Highly recommend getting yourself a cutting rug, lol) the rug is probably 2.5 feet wide. This works for most basic patterns (candy stripe, chevron, zig zags etc.). If the pattern is more involved I will cut it longer.

For alphas I make my base strings around 18 inches long. I put the working colors on bobbins and work off of those.

You can also learn how to russian join strings so that it never becomes an issue for you.
muirb_xxx
Bracelet King
muirb_xxx
@javret thank you!!
Threadhead
Professional
Threadhead
4 years, 2 months ago by Threadhead
For normal patterns I generally do my wingspan, which for me is about 6ft. For thicker bracelets over 25 strings I tend to add about 6-12 mor inches. For alpha base strings I do twisted ties on each end so to cut the right size for those I do how long I need for 1 tie then dubble because I make 2 ties, then add how long I think the bracelet will be. I hope this information helps anybody who needs it, it has helped me.
muirb_xxx
Bracelet King
muirb_xxx
4 years, 2 months ago by muirb_xxx
@Threadhead thank you!!