Lumpy Bracelet
NicCageFan
Professional
NicCageFan
4 years, 3 months ago by NicCageFan
Lots of my alpha bracelets end up getting wider when I knot with multiple colors and then gets smaller when I go back to one solid color. And sometimes it’ll go wide smaller wide smaller smaller normal. Why does it do this and how I fix this?
michlynnxx
Bracelet King
michlynnxx
4 years, 3 months ago by michlynnxx
Are you using all of the same brand of threads? This can sometimes make the bracelet contract and retract if you use different brands or string sizes for the different colours.
NicCageFan
Professional
NicCageFan
I’m pretty sure they’re the same size but I’m not 100%. I’ll make sure they all are the same when I make my next one. Thank you!!
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
4 years, 3 months ago by halokiwi
What might help is the "flat alpha technique". It's a technique you can use to make flatter alphas. They also might get more even in general.

Take care to not pull the strings that are behind the bracelet too tight.
NicCageFan
Professional
NicCageFan
How exactly do you do the flat alpha technique?
BeadGirl16
Bracelet King
BeadGirl16
4 years, 3 months ago by BeadGirl16
I don't really know how to explain it, but Masha Knots has a video on how to do it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YVFAX9sacw
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
4 years, 3 months ago by halokiwi
Sorry, I forgot to mention that there's a video by masha knots.
javret
Skiller
javret
4 years, 3 months ago by javret
Everyone has given a lot of great advice!

Make sure you do a proper start and end to your alphas. It seems silly but a triangle/looped start makes the overall bracelet so much more secure and good looking than just starting.

It also comes down to practice! My first three alphas were SO lumpy but after the fourth and fifth, they started to get flatter. Between the flat alpha technique, using similar brands of thread, and having good starts it really made my bracelet go from meh to great!
NicCageFan
Professional
NicCageFan
Ok, thank you everyone!!! I will check out the video and make sure my strings are the same! Thanks again for all the advice!!
Someone_
Bracelet King
Someone_
4 years, 3 months ago by Someone_
If there's no difference in the string sizes, and its all the same brand... The next thing I would suggest is trying to adjust your knots - when you add more threads/colors to Alpha's they may end up taking more room, especially if the pattern has rows of one color at the start, before starting on the pattern. A good tip for that is to pay attention to your knots, and look at what point the bracelet gets wider. For me, the bracelet gets wider when I add more threads/colors, so what I do is make sure I make my background looser, and keep the pattern knots slightly tighter, this way all the knots are the same size. 🙂
NicCageFan
Professional
NicCageFan
Thank you! I’ll try that when I start my next bracelet.
Someone_
Bracelet King
Someone_
4 years, 3 months ago by Someone_
You're welcome! 🙂