Cutting Base Strings
PiperKnots
Professional
PiperKnots
4 years, 4 months ago by PiperKnots
I've made the pattern #26548 and I'm trying to figure out if I can just cut the base strings off without them unknotting themselves, because I was going to make it into a keyring but I've run out, so I just continued making it and I just want to have a straight edge just as a little decoration for my binder or something, but I don't want to mess it up. Please help! ❤️
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
4 years, 4 months ago by halokiwi
You have to secure it somehow. If you don't the knots will be able to move on the base strings and potentially untie themselves. You can look at what Masha knots did in her tutorial. I think it looks super cute.
ShruthiMan
Bracelet King
ShruthiMan
4 years, 3 months ago by ShruthiMan
If you’ve made a two sided kaychain you can tie the base strings from both sides together, to secure it. Or you could stitch it, have a look at the key ring I’ve made of another pattern
PiperKnots
Professional
PiperKnots
4 years, 3 months ago by PiperKnots
Thankyou! I ended up just cutting it and it's stayed secure.
sodapop
Bracelet King
sodapop
4 years, 3 months ago by sodapop
If you cut your base strings really short you'll really want to secure them somehow... either with glue or Fraystop, or use a sewing machine to close it with a zigzag stitch.

I've made mistakes in my alphas and only noticed about 3-4 rows back. The best way to undo knots is to tug on the bottom couple rows to expose the base strings a little, then use a pin to separate and pull each base string through the top of the rows of (mistake) knots. All of the knots are easily released this way.

I imagine if the base strings are very short and not tied off, it won't take much tugging at all to release the bottom rows of knots.