blisters from making bracelets
hilsa
Professional
hilsa
1 year, 7 months ago by hilsa
Anyone else get blisters/cuts on their index fingers from making knots?? I've got quite a deep cut on my index finger from making bracelets and was wondering if anyone had a tip for avoiding this. I sometimes put a plaster on before I start knotting, but I don't have any at the moment 😢
Night_Owl
Bracelet King
Night_Owl
1 year, 7 months ago by Night_Owl
Yes I definetely do get small cuts on my fingers after knotting for a long time multiple days in a row, other than using a plaster I can't really think of much else you can do other than take a bit of a break from knotting (:
mayamarino
Professional
mayamarino
1 year, 7 months ago by mayamarino
this would happen to me when i would pull my strings super tight. You can use band aids and see if that helps or try knotting a little looser!
marie_k
Professional
marie_k
1 year, 7 months ago by marie_k
same thing here, i usually put on a band-aid too, i wanted to try one of those finger covers either plastic or silicon as i look for a reusable option !
feiwafeiwa
Bracelet King
feiwafeiwa
1 year, 7 months ago by feiwafeiwa
It happens to me too! Usually I take a break from knotting for a little bit. Thankfully after several repeated incidents I'm starting to develop calluses 🙂
spyderwebs
Professional
spyderwebs
1 year, 7 months ago by spyderwebs
i use tiny little finger tubi grips! tubi grips are like the elastic kind of bandages or bandage covers, and u can find ones for your fingers, although i had some trouble finding them but eventually found them online! they’re like little finger sleeves and they work really well for me and i find them less annoying than plasters to wear. i originally bought them for crochet and then started using them for bracelet making when my fingers got irritated 🙂 u just have to make sure you get them small enough otherwise they’ll be too loose and slide off as you knot
spyderwebs
Professional
spyderwebs
1 year, 7 months ago by spyderwebs
oh also! sorry i just answered but forgot about this. i also sometimes use self adhesive bandage! you can get them really thin, like the thickness of medical tape and they’re actually way better than the finger sleeves. they’re the bandages that like stick to themselves and they’re really great 🙂 medical tape is also perfect and way better than plasters
Allie2024
Skiller
Allie2024
1 year, 3 months ago by Allie2024
I have multiple blisters on my thumb. Which is weird because I don’t have them anywhere else.
Callie_BOB
Bracelet King
Callie_BOB
1 year, 3 months ago by Callie_BOB
I used to get blisters and cuts all of the time too! I found that it was because I was trying to pull my strings way too tightly. Tying even a little bit more loosely will not only save your hands but your knots will also be more uniform! Also you can build up calluses to protect your fingers by knotting more consistently but for shorter periods of time (i.e. a half hour a day instead of for 6 hours one day). Hope this helps!
IndyHaine
Bracelet King
IndyHaine
1 year, 3 months ago by IndyHaine
There are rubber thimbles for playing the kalimba. Those are perfect for me because I can still grab the string easily (I imagine I couldnt do that with a normal thimble, but I haven't tried).
dot2dot
Advanced
dot2dot
1 year, 2 months ago by dot2dot
In addition to loosening your tension when knotting, you can try applying lotion or petroleum jelly to the affected areas when you are not knitting to help heal and moisturize your hands to further prevent this issue.
holly220
Skiller
holly220
1 year, 2 months ago by holly220
i usually use washi tape to tape down my bracelets so ill just put some on whatever area starts to hurt and i haven't gotten a proper blister yet, and it's got some texture unlike regular tape and is pretty cheap, plus no plastic! this also works for things like crochet
Yelena09
Bracelet King
Yelena09
1 year, 2 months ago by Yelena09
My skin is also rubbing away. I haven't found a way to stop it sorry.
BeetleNugi
Bracelet King
BeetleNugi
1 year, 1 month ago by BeetleNugi
I had this exact same problem as a beginner, I get the pain! I soon realised it was because I was tying my knots too tight. So tight my thread would even snap!
To ease the pain, I would wrap pieces of tape, or plasters around my fingers where the pain was and practice making my knots looser. This really helped as I could continue knotting without causing myself harm. I now have the knot tension that I like and I have had no injuries since 2020 ☺️ 👍
itsmetooba
Advanced
itsmetooba
1 year, 1 month ago by itsmetooba
The type of string you use can also affect this! You should try to find different, softer string maybe. Another option might be using a rubber thimble like they do in sewing.