Floss problem
Link
Bracelet King
Link
4 years, 6 months ago by Link
Hi! So, I wanted to switch from using normal acrylic yarn to tie my bracelets with to DMC embroidery floss because I have heard so many people are using it. The color range is broader, the feeling of the material is much nicer but I have run into a problem: The individual knots turn out soooo tiny and as a result, it takes me soooo much longer to finish a bracelet. When I compare my bracelets to other people’s bracelets (made from DMC floss as well), their knots are much bigger and the threads also appear thicker. I have tried tying them really loosely but to no use, there are big holes in my work then. What am I doing wrong? Does the thickness of DMC vary from country to country? Am I not using the right kind? Am I too impatient?
brachel714
Professional
brachel714
4 years, 6 months ago by brachel714
No it's all the same it depends on color sometimes bc some of the dmc thread is make from 5,6,7 strand that all get twisted into one. I personally use friendship bracelet that from Walmart that comes in packs but I'm no expert.
brachel714
Professional
brachel714
4 years, 6 months ago by brachel714
You can also happen to not be trying as many knots as them!
Margaron
Margaron
4 years, 6 months ago by Margaron
DMC makes a wide range of different flosses like the last user said, so it could be that you’re using a thinner thread than someone else. However, I find this to generally be the case with nicer thread. I recent bought cheap stuff from Walmart and my bracelets are considerably bigger than when I tie with my dmc or j&p stuff. Takes longer but the finished product also looks and feels better in my opinion.
Link
Bracelet King
Link
Okay, thank you both. I have bought a bunch of the Mouline Spécial series from DMC. Is that not the type typically used? And Margaron... If the bracelets are bigger with cheap thread why does it take longer? I sadly don’t have a Walmart around me and imo it’s just a hassle to go shopping for yarn/thread in my area. I have found numerous kinds that would be perfect for knotting but come in, like, 8 shades. I’ve considered looking into Schachenmayr's Catania yarn, though...?
pinfriends
Bracelet King
pinfriends
4 years, 6 months ago by pinfriends
Also, you do not have to use DMC , but amazons big packs for like 7$ are really nice!!
Link
Bracelet King
Link
Yeah, I thought about buying those. To bracelets made with them turn out wider? I really don’t mind the work DMC makes, I just hate that I could finish three bracelets with acrylic yarn in the same time I finish one with DMC
vennix
Bracelet King
vennix
4 years, 6 months ago by vennix
I have bought several packs of embroidery thread from amazon and they are about the same thickness as the dmc. There may be some variation but it doesn’t make too much of a difference in normal bracelets
Link
Bracelet King
Link
Okay
Link
Bracelet King
Link
Thanks to all of you for taking the time to answer my questions. I can tell the quest for the ultimate type of string for me continues 🙂
altopride
Bracelet King
altopride
4 years, 5 months ago by altopride
I used to double up on my strings to make a bigger bracelet!
akduncan
Bracelet King
akduncan
4 years, 5 months ago by akduncan
That’s a cool idea!