Segment knotting
fsfs1212
Professional
fsfs1212
4 years, 7 months ago by fsfs1212
I’m trying to learn how to do segment knotting. I watched Masha Knots Video but it didn’t really helped me personally. So if you have some tips please
brr
Professional
brr
4 years, 7 months ago by brr
I haven't don't much segment knotting but I know that the way most people do chevron (the arrow) is segment knotting, basically it's just tying the knots at a diagonal towards the center instead of in rows horizontally, just find the diagonal rows in the pattern and work around those, sorry if this didn't really help
fsfs1212
Professional
fsfs1212
4 years, 7 months ago by fsfs1212
@brr thanks 🙏
brr
Professional
brr
4 years, 7 months ago by brr
There are also probably other YouTubers who have explained segment knotting
DutchAlpha
Advanced
DutchAlpha
4 years, 6 months ago by DutchAlpha
It's just looking for knots that you can tie toghter. A long as a group of knots can be tied without having problems later on it's okay. Try pattern #27498. It has two black strings that cross every know and then to make a diamond pattern and all other colours inside these diamonds can be tied in segments.
bunnyco
Professional
bunnyco
4 years, 4 months ago by bunnyco
My only tip is- you should follow the exact pattern first. That way, you can understand how the pattern works and what you need to do to make the design.
bunnyco
Professional
bunnyco
4 years, 4 months ago by bunnyco
and if you don’t understand it at first, try the pattern a couple more times with different colors. That’s what usually works for me! Some patterns are way too complicated to get segment knotting right away. Don’t worry, you’ll get the hang of it!
jshtamler
Professional
jshtamler
4 years, 4 months ago by jshtamler
Can someone help me figure out segment knotting on pattern #26069 ? thanks!
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
4 years, 4 months ago by halokiwi
@jshtamler

You start with the black fb knot on the left. You make one knot with the black string over the other black string.

Then you take the third string (purple) and do one fb, one b and one b knot.

Then you take the fifth string (blue) and do one fb, one b and one b knot.

Now you can either continue the same steps until you get to the second to last string on the right. Then you make one b knot at the very end of the 3rd row and you've already finished the first three rows.

For the 4th row you start with the second string on the left (black). You do an fb and an b knot.

Then you continue with the fourth string and do one fb, one b and one b knot. So basically exactly the same as you did in the first three rows.

You continue doing this with the fourth, sixth, eight string and so on until you get to the orange string. With the red string you do two b knots to finish the fifth and sixth row.

Another possible way to segment knot would be to combine the steps from frow 1 to 3 and row 4 to 6. You always go diagonally from the right to the left. The strings you use are always a fb knot and two b knots.
gross_piZa
Professional
gross_piZa
4 years, 4 months ago by gross_piZa
Most tutorials on YouTube are segment knotting, so if you watch enough of those, it kinda starts to make more sense. Like if you know how to segment knot a chevron, you can use that knowledge to help you segment knot other patterns- for example ones with chevrons in them
jshtamler
Professional
jshtamler
thanks!! @halokiwi
jshtamler
Professional
jshtamler
@halokiwi I know I already said thank you but that was for just giving me the information on how to segment knot patter #26069.
Now, after actually following your directions and following the information you have given me, THANK YOU!!!
It helped so much and it took less time than when I was doing it row by row...
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
@jshtamler you're welcome! It was a pleasure to help you with this. I really love segment knotting and it makes me really happy that others appreciate it too!
jshtamler
Professional
jshtamler
Can someone help and explain how to segment knot patter #29348
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
@jshtamler

1st step: do any knot you like between the two black strings in the middle

2nd step: with the left pink string you do a bf knot and then a f knot. With the pink string on the right you do a fb and a b knot. Then you do any knot you like between the two pink strings

3rd step: you do 3 f knots with the black string on the left and 3 b knots with the black string on the right

4th step: you do 2 f knots with the black string on the left and 2 b knots with the black string on the right

5th step: you do a b knot with the left pink string and a f knot with the right pink string

Then you start all over again
jshtamler
Professional
jshtamler
@halokiwi there you go again! helping me with a great explanation! thank you so much!
rjeatkk
Professional
rjeatkk
4 years, 4 months ago by rjeatkk
can someone please help me figure out how to segment knot pattern #27599 thank you!! 🙂
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
@rjeatkk

I'm trying to think of a good and simple way but I think it's getting a bit more complicated than the previous patterns. I wish you could add pictures to the forum. That would make it a lot easier but let's get started.

What's important when segment knotting is that you look at the knots you can do at once that use one string, so knots that are in a diagonal line (if there aren't any fb or bf knots). If you have a diagonal line with knots that all have the same colour you can do them at once.

I think trying to describe in which order I'd do the knots would get too much for this pattern (but I could try if you really want to)

My recommendation for this pattern is to instead of going row by row you go diagonal by diagonal. That isn't the ideal way but it's already a lot faster than row by row.

You start with the first knot in the first row. Once you've done that knot you do the second knot in row one, the first knot in row two and the first knot in row three. Then you do the third knot in row one, the second knot in row two, the second knot in row three, the first knot in row 4 and the first knot in row 5. You continue doing this diagonal by diagonal. Whenever there are two strings of the same colour you do a b knot instead of whatever knot is shown in the pattern. This will also make it faster.

I hope this helps.
jshtamler
Professional
jshtamler
For pattern #29194

Can I begin the bracelet at the pink f knot on line 7 and keep going...

Or is that gonna ruin the bracelet?
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
Yes @jshtamler you can start with the pink knot in row 7. Just make sure you put the strings in the right order (look at the order of the strings your pink string is crossing to determine the order).