How do you track what row you are in a normal pattern?
art64love
Advanced
art64love
3 years, 1 month ago by art64love
I was making a bracelet with pattern but completely lost track of where I was. Too many.distractions. is there a way to read your bracelet to know where you left off? I think I left off in one of the middle knots so I couldn't figure out where to continue. I lost track of my row too.
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
3 years, 1 month ago by halokiwi
You look at your bracelet and see if you can find any shape that stands out close to where you currently are. Then you look at the pattern itself and try to find that shape and then the place where you currently are.

You can of course also count the rows you have already done but I think that's a lot more effort especially if you are far into the bracelet.
malmal_
Professional
malmal_
3 years, 1 month ago by malmal_
I use a pencil and lightly cross out the row number once I finish that line.
danielle_3
Bracelet King
danielle_3
3 years, 1 month ago by danielle_3
i use a pencil and put check marks next to the row numbers on the side. i make them really light so i can erase them after when i need to repeat the pattern. 😊
Basilology
Bracelet King
Basilology
3 years, 1 month ago by Basilology
I print out my patterns (even for alphas) and I can make any notes that I need, for example which row I'm on.
demonspong
Professional
demonspong
3 years ago by demonspong
If I’m reading a pattern off a screen, I have the bottom of my browser window right below the row I am on and then scroll up. If I’m using my phone and am struggling to keep track, I use a post it note directly on my screen and scroll like that. I use post it notes on printed patterns too!
stormii
Bracelet King
stormii
3 years ago by stormii
if you print off the pattern, you can put check marks next to the row number when you finish a row! if you don't print off your patterns, you can use a whiteboard or a piece of paper, and write the number of the row you've just finished. when you finish another row, erase that number and put in another (if on a whiteboard) or cross it off and write another (if on paper).
allyson606
Bracelet King
allyson606
3 years ago by allyson606
If you print out your pattern you can use a pencil to cross off the rows you made, or use a ruler, personally I usually use my laptop to save paper so I use a paint on chrome extenstion so I can draw over the online pattern ❤️ ❤️
Books4Ever
Bracelet King
Books4Ever
3 years ago by Books4Ever
What I do is I print out the pattern then take a pin and poke a hole beside the row that I am on
blahblah11
Bracelet King
blahblah11
3 years ago by blahblah11
If you do the row by row method I recommend segment knotting it! You won’t lose track of your row and it’s also much faster! (The way you said lost my row made me thin you we’re going grow by row) I also just realized you could have been making an alpha 😂
Crafterina
Bracelet King
Crafterina
3 years ago by Crafterina
I usually don't remember where am I so I just write down in google keep notes on which row am I and from which row do I have to start
kayla_will
Bracelet King
kayla_will
3 years ago by kayla_will
I use this free app called OneNote. I post patterns there and organize them according to category. For one page, all I have are the bracelets I'm working on. As I go, I highlight a row and that lets me know I finished it. By post I mean like taking a screen shot of my screen and uploading my picture on OneNote.
cooper10
Bracelet King
cooper10
3 years ago by cooper10
I usually print out the pattern then put a dot by which row I have just done!
minutcraft
Bracelet King
minutcraft
3 years ago by minutcraft
Sometimes when I’m using my phone, I save a screenshot/pic of the pattern and use the mark-up tool (an inbuilt photo editing feature) to make a small mark/draw a line to indicate where i’ve stopped.
ellbell
Professional
ellbell
3 years ago by ellbell
If your looking at the pattern online, scroll as you go or keep your pointer next to it. if you printed it out you can fold the paper each time or put something next to th eline so you remember! Look at your last knot and work backwards
Mimi-Chan
Advanced
Mimi-Chan
3 years ago by Mimi-Chan
I always just count and write down which row im on. It really helps in normal and alpha patterns <3
Beanbean8
Bracelet King
Beanbean8
3 years ago by Beanbean8
What is do is scroll down to where the first row it show in the
Beanbean8
Bracelet King
Beanbean8
3 years ago by Beanbean8
Pattern is the one I am on
MrsOtter2
Bracelet King
MrsOtter2
2 years, 11 months ago by MrsOtter2
I use a notebook that I attach my miniature clipboard I use for knotting to write patterns down and keep track of what row I’m on. I got really into washi tape and string over the course of the pandemic so what I do is on one page I write the DMC code or what brand and color I’m using and the other page is the pattern(s) written out row by row in shorthand (f- forward, b-backward, fb- forward backward, bf- backward forward). I got some little paper cutters that make shapes and used my washi tape to make placement stickers that I can easily move multiple times and it not lose its stickiness. Of course this is probably overkill to some people but for people who can’t seem to get the hang of segment knotting it’s helpful to see which row you’re working on.
asterism
Professional
asterism
12 months ago by asterism
I have a row counter meant for knitting, if i'm working on an especially confusion normal pattern i will use that.