Straight-Sided Alphas
AfriadKnot
Professional
AfriadKnot
3ย years, 6ย months ago by AfriadKnot
Hello! ๐Ÿ™‚ I am fairly new to alphas (I've made about 4 keychains), and I am having trouble keeping the bracelets the same width all the way through. I love and use Masha's flat alpha technique with straight edges, but my bracelets still get wider as I knot. Any advice?
Someone_
Bracelet King
Someone_
3ย years, 6ย months ago by Someone_
Hey! This is completely normal when starting out making Alpha's and it tends to happen the most with patterns that have a lot of color switches, as these will make the bracelet/keychain/etc 'looser', the more knots you have in a row of one color the 'tighter' it will be. There isn't a way to prevent it entirely but you can reduce it.
Each time you make a color change, make sure to pull the new color tightly before you start to continue knotting with it, and then make sure the rest of your knots are even in tension. Another way to reduce it would be to make sure each string you knot with is both the same thickness and brand of string, this will guarantee that the knots you produce will be the same size. As well as those I mentioned, the only other thing that helps is practice.
A further tip if you are completely new to Alpha's would be to practice with patterns that require 2-3 colours first. So you can find the right balance of tension, etc, that will work for you.
I hope this helps! Good luck! ๐Ÿ™‚
AfriadKnot
Professional
AfriadKnot
3ย years, 6ย months ago by AfriadKnot
@Someone_ thank you! I'll keep you updated after my next alphas ๐Ÿ˜„