Alpha Elongation/Stretching
kiiwi
Bracelet King
kiiwi
3 years, 7 months ago by kiiwi
Hello, I have used the flat alpha technique for a while, but one thing I have noticed is that my knots are slightly longer than they are wide, causing a completely square pattern to look rectangular. I would appreciate any help (:
JocelynH
Bracelet King
JocelynH
3 years, 7 months ago by JocelynH
No ones knots are perfectly square. The generator is square because that is how it was designed, but in reality knots are often rectangular. At the moment I don’t know of any way to change that
lemondrink
Bracelet King
lemondrink
3 years, 7 months ago by lemondrink
I've had this problem as well. But I am sorry to say, there is no way to combat this except make your knots as tight as possible. I looked everywhere I could think of for the answer to this question and people told me the only way is to make your knots tighter.

I hope this somewhat helped! 😊
gwynmac
Advanced
gwynmac
3 years, 7 months ago by gwynmac
I have the same problem and I figured the solution was to make tighter knots but I like the look of looser knots 🤨 so I guess all my patterns will look super stretched out ? Lol
Shelly2121
Bracelet King
Shelly2121
3 years, 7 months ago by Shelly2121
ive tried tying my knots looser, but then what happens is that the areas where i do the color switch become bigger since they arent the same size as my normal ones, if that makes sense 🙁 🙂
every alpha i do has knots that are slightly rectangular, so i dont think you can avoid it

correct me if im wrong tho!
DaniaAhmed
Bracelet King
DaniaAhmed
3 years, 7 months ago by DaniaAhmed
@Warning I’m not the greatest at alphas 😂 but try making the first half of a knot tight and the second one slightly looser.
DaniaAhmed
Bracelet King
DaniaAhmed
3 years, 7 months ago by DaniaAhmed
Oops I didn’t meant to tag anyone 😂
IslandGurl
Professional
IslandGurl
3 years, 7 months ago by IslandGurl
This can be because of knot tension and the type of string you are using.
embroidery thread causes bigger knots than craft cord because embroidery thread is thicker.
also if your alpha base strings are thick then it can make the knots bigger (i think, not sure)
MegES19
Bracelet King
MegES19
3 years, 6 months ago by MegES19
Like everyone's saying, it's pretty normal. MAYBE something you could try is to use wider or thicker thread for your base strings? I've been meaning to try this myself but haven't had the chance to buy any
bee4
Bracelet King
bee4
3 years, 6 months ago by bee4
Try using craft cord, it makes the knots shorter, and more square, and makes the patterns not stretched out because it’s thinner.
andyharls
Professional
andyharls
3 years, 6 months ago by andyharls
hi i actually found out a way to minimise this! everyone keeps saying make the knots tighter but that actually makes it worse! if you tie the knots tighter, it makes them tighter horizontally as well which just makes the issue worse, don't tie them as tight and they alpha won't be as thin which evens it out a bit!just tie it the same way you'd tie a normal bracelet knot, i figured this out halfway through my second alpha and it suddenly gets fatter halfway