alpha keychain w an uneven number of base strings
grcleven
Bracelet King
grcleven
3 years, 8 months ago by grcleven
what do I do if I’m making an alpha on a keychain and I only need 19 base strings? I tie them onto the key ring using a lark’s head knot, so I don’t know how to attach the last single one
poplianna
Bracelet King
poplianna
3 years, 8 months ago by poplianna
You could try making the last one your base string so then you will have one string the length of the rest and one long string to use for knots
tygergirl
Professional
tygergirl
3 years, 8 months ago by tygergirl
What I do is split a string in half. Most embroidery string is 6 strands. Cut it how long you want it and separate the strands. So now you should have two 3 strand threads. Then tie on of the half strands onto the ring using a larks head knot and it will double and become a 6 strand thread. Hope this helps!! @grcleven
grcleven
Bracelet King
grcleven
@tygergirl you are a GENIUS thank you!
grcleven
Bracelet King
grcleven
@poplianna I’ve heard of a couple people doing it that way, I’ll give it a try!! Thanks!
sockkat
Skiller
sockkat
3 years, 8 months ago by sockkat
I've used two methods. One is to make the lark's head with one side much shorter than the other, and I'll knot over the long and the short side at the same time for 2-3 rows before trimming the excess. I don't find that the knots are significantly bigger (I use floss) especially if you tie those knots a bit tighter. No ends to hide this way.

The other way is to run one end of your odd thread along the length of the base so that you make your lark's heads of all the other base strings over the keychain and the thread. Warning: make sure that you don't pull too tight when knotting onto that cord the first few rows or you might yank it out by accident. Again, no ends to hide.