Two Questions about Wall Hangings
lyssieblis
Bracelet King
lyssieblis
3 years, 8 months ago by lyssieblis
Ok so 1. Could anyone give me some tips on wall hangings? I'm about to do my first one and I'm a little nervous, like on how to conserve thread because for my base strings I've always just used normal thread, how to tie it off nice, etc. and 2. Besides using wooden dowels or skewers for the larger ones, do you have any suggestions on what to use around the house? I'd hate to go out and buy a pack
Paige_1
Bracelet King
Paige_1
3 years, 8 months ago by Paige_1
You can use a toothpick if it’s a smaller pattern!
lyssieblis
Bracelet King
lyssieblis
@Paige_1 yeah, but all of my patterns that I have in my to-dos are too big for a toothpick 🙁 idk what else to use unless I buy something
sockkat
Skiller
sockkat
3 years, 8 months ago by sockkat
Pencil or chopstick could be nice. Knitting needle. A straw if you don't tie your knots too tight at the start. You can even use a tree branch if you want a rustic look.
lyssieblis
Bracelet King
lyssieblis
@sockkat those are really good ideas, thank you!
jgrace
Bracelet King
jgrace
3 years, 8 months ago by jgrace
For wall hangings, your base strings only need to be as long as the pattern is since you don’t make knots with your base strings. You can just use normal thread for base strings, just like every other alpha pattern. Most people just make a tassel-like knot when they are done with the pattern.
jetsa_124
Bracelet King
jetsa_124
3 years, 8 months ago by jetsa_124
And for base strings since they are only at the end, you can use your uglier colors or ones that you don’t use, like browns and weird colors.
jetsa_124
Bracelet King
jetsa_124
3 years, 8 months ago by jetsa_124
And you don’t have to do it all of the same color. You can do like 5 strings each of one color and have the base be a rainbow or a gradient. That way you don’t use too much of one color as the base
lyssieblis
Bracelet King
lyssieblis
@jetsa_124 that's a really good idea, thank you
emwhitt
Bracelet King
emwhitt
3 years, 8 months ago by emwhitt
Crochet thread is amazing for base strings! You can buy a large wheel of it for around $4.00, and it lasts a long time! I've made quite a few alphas recently and you can barely see a dent in mine.

Also, I agree with the chopsticks! You could also use a straw and paint that to match the pattern you're creating. It probably won't be as sturdy if its plastic, but it should still work and hold up well.