Suggestion: Profile Length Limits
Traveler
Bracelet King
Traveler
6ย months ago by Traveler
I would like to suggest profile bio length limits or make them a fixed size and scrollable.

There have been numerous times where I have visited another user's page to see their patterns or photos only to have to scroll for what seems like forever to finally get to the content I want to see. This typically happens in a "Ha ha! Are you still reading this? Why did you scroll down so far?" type manner. I don't know if these users realize what a hassle it is to get through or even realize that it does that at all, but I suggest a limit.

I think 50 to 100 rows would be sufficient for most users to put all the information they desire into their profile bios without making it a chore to scroll through everything. Or the profile bio window could expand to a fixed number of rows and once it reaches that number any other information added, someone would have to scroll within that window to see. It would be similar to how we have fixed window sizes to type comments and topics and have to scroll our text within it to see what we've typed before.

I don't come across those types of profiles very often, but when I do, it's very frustrating and wastes my time. It's just a suggestion. I don't know if anyone else experiences this, but I don't imagine it would be hard to implement.
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
6ย months ago by halokiwi
Very good point ๐Ÿ˜„

We mods are aware of this issue and whenever we see a user with a bio that is unnecessarily long, we'll message them letting them know that it makes their profile difficult to navigate and that they should shorten their bio a little.

We definitely want to implement a technical fix to this as well. I really like your suggestions how such a fix could look.

Until then, when you come across such a bio, feel free to message a moderator and they will then talk to the user.
Cindyknits
Advanced
Cindyknits
6ย months ago by Cindyknits
Iโ€™m new and had never looked at the Users page. Iโ€™m using the app. I couldnโ€™t figure out how/if they are organized. Is there a way to search for a particular user?
Traveler
Bracelet King
Traveler
6ย months ago by Traveler
@Cindyknits I use the website, not the app, so I don't know how different it is. On the site if you scroll down to the very bottom of the page there is a link that says users. There you can search for a user if you know their username or part of it. It will give you results based on what you typed in. There are several ways to sort them.

If you are looking for a particular person's patterns you can also go to the patterns page and type it into the added by user box.