Question re thread for pattern #17342
lilackat
Advanced
lilackat
3 years, 10 months ago by lilackat
Hi I’m trying to do #17342 & I’m finding it’s coming out quite big & I’m only going to fit one Mickey & one Minnie on. Either I’m doing something really wrong or just wondering if a different thread is recommended? I’m using DMC stranded cotton, it has 6 strands.
chkntaters
Bracelet King
chkntaters
3 years, 10 months ago by chkntaters
It might just be because of the size of your knots. Depending on how tight or loose you tie your knots it can really impact the size of your bracelet.
lilackat
Advanced
lilackat
Thank you #chkntaters I was just wondering though, is it usual to split 6 stranded thread or use a thinner one? I maybe knotting too loosely but I didn’t think so?
lilackat
Advanced
lilackat
@chkntaters 🤪
chkntaters
Bracelet King
chkntaters
3 years, 10 months ago by chkntaters
You can totally split your thread or use thinner thread if you want to, but you'll have to be more gentle when tying your knots because when it's thinner it is more likely to snap or break.
madeleine_
madeleine_
3 years, 10 months ago by madeleine_
How long did you cut your base strings? For 74 rows, I’d make mine around 111mm plus extra for ties
lilackat
Advanced
lilackat
@madeleine_ It’s not the length of the bracelet i.e. the base strings, it’s the fact the fact that I am only going to fit 1 Mickey & 1 Minnie on. I have looked at some other people’s photos of this design & I think a few people have found the same problem.
Cirivere
Bracelet King
Cirivere
3 years, 10 months ago by Cirivere
you could add more rows of just the base colour, so like repeat the first 3 rows multiple times, then knot the micky and minnie. you can even add more space in between the micky and minnie, but I persoanlly think its more pretty if you had those in the centre. finish off with even more rows of only the blue string.

I hope this is what you meant 😂
Cirivere
Bracelet King
Cirivere
in t his pattern theres 4 minnie and mickies shown, if you only knot the middle two and do the rest in blue (so like up till row 21, and then from row 54 blue again) itll be a bracelet with only two mouse heads and the a bit more lenth than if you only did the knots of those mouse heads
lilackat
Advanced
lilackat
Thanks @Cirivere. I think I’ll just have to have the two but it’s really annoying me and I’m wondering if I shouldn’t be using all 6 strands of the stranded cotton or would be better using a size 8 cotton perle maybe?
Cirivere
Bracelet King
Cirivere
personally splitting threads can be annoying when using them to knot, since I find that once you split them the threads tend to also unravel more often when tying them in the bracelet, so if you have a thread you dont need to split, but is thinner that might work?
Cirivere
Bracelet King
Cirivere
it might help to check if you tie your knots tight enough (note, dont pull too hard or the thread might snap), and occasionally push the knots up to flatten the rows evenly
madeleine_
madeleine_
3 years, 10 months ago by madeleine_
Ohh I’m sorry I misunderstood what the problem was
lilackat
Advanced
lilackat
Hi, Well I’ve split the embroidery floss slightly and the bracelet is looking better but just wondering if I should have split the base strings as well? Would that have improved the look of the bracelet, made it thinner & neater?