Questions! Questions! and more Questions!
band-it
Skiller
band-it
10ย years ago by band-it
I have found some really great patterns on bracelet book, kudos to all the talented people who make the bracelets and those who make the patterns. I have been tempted to use the alpha pattern maker but I have a question; How do I know if it is legal to create a pattern from a picture? I understand that if it has a copyright then I need author permission to use the design; however,I have seen disney and other designs that have copyrights attached to them. How do I know if its okay to use since everything seems to be trademarked? Another question I have is is it okay to submit secular designs? I have seen a lot of christian fish and crosses etc. but I have not seen any agnostic (or other) designs. This might sound stupid but I am not sure if maybe those are not deemed appropriate for this site and I just want to make sure I am playing by the rules. Thanks so much in advance!
SBilbrey
Bracelet King
SBilbrey
10ย years ago by SBilbrey
When you're being asked if the pattern is copyrighted, they just want to make sure that you're not stealing a pattern from another user or another site. You're not trying to profit off of the Disney or other characters by posting them to this site, so you're good there. I submitted a lot of the Disney patterns, and I always list "Disney" as a keyword. That's as close as I can get to crediting the studio that came up with the original character.

There also doesn't seem to be any kind of religious bias here. I've seen plenty of crosses and Christian related patterns. I've also seen Jewish stars of David, Muslim crescents, even Wiccan pentacles. There are a lot of Celtic symbols that can be tied to early pagans. You shouldn't have a problem submitting a pattern that represents your values. As far as I can tell, there are only a few topics to avoid: foul language, nudity, and threats of violence. I've seen patterns of cigarettes or pot leaves, so they don't censor too much around here. They just try to keep it civil. Hope that helps!
puppydog
Bracelet King
puppydog
10ย years ago by puppydog
the pattern is only copyrighted if the pattern is on another site