End of row knots
Reply
Kytamy
Advanced
Kytamy
5 days, 15 hours ago by Kytamy
Hi. This is the first bracelet that I'm doing and I've encountered a problem. Pattern has 3 colors, one of them is only used for a few knots for the inside part of the flowers (pattern #40357, variation #395796). When I reached row 33, I had to pull the yellow thread over again and I did it with the same thread, without cutting it and then reattaching at row 33. I tried pulling it tighter, but now it's hanging on the side of the bracelet on the left side before it goes under it.

I'm at row 37, I will have to stop using the yellow once again until row 55. Also, since this was my first time, I decided to not do straight edges just so I would get used with how bracelets are made. My questions are:

1. Is there a way I can avoid it from happening again, or do I just proceed because there is nothing I can do? I know some people cut the strings under the bracelet and while I don't mind a messy back, this is visible from the front side too. For now I'm just waiting at row 37 in case I should do something differently.

2. If I can avoid it from happening again, is there also a way I can also fix the thread that is already sticking on the side of the bracelet? Is the only solution cutting it?

Thank you in advance! ❤️
halokiwi
Moderator
halokiwi
5 days, 15 hours ago by halokiwi
Generally if a loose leading string spans that far in the back of the alpha, people will cut it but that that doesn't necessarily fix the issue with the leading strings sticking out at the edges. Cutting the loose leading strings that span far on the back helps relief tension and makes the bracelet lay flatter.

Using the straight edges technique helps because the ends of strings that make their first or last knot at the edge won't point outwards. Using the straight edges technique doesn't change much about the process of tying alphas, so I think you can include it from the start if you are comfortable doing fb and bf knots.

What I would do now is to cut the yellow leading string somewhere in the middle between the first and second flower, not right where it comes out after the last knot and before the first knot. Tie both ends to another leading string that is close to where that string comes out to stop it from pointing outwards and to also avoid the leading string from spanning such a far way.
Kytamy
Advanced
Kytamy
5 days, 15 hours ago by Kytamy
This is a photo with the bracelet since I'm not sure I explained well enough: 😅

https://imgur.com/a/y4cCYkg
halokiwi
Moderator
halokiwi
5 days, 15 hours ago by halokiwi
Cut the yellow string in the middle (not close to where it comes out). Tie both ends to a leading string in the back close to where it comes out, ideally in the same row.
Kytamy
Advanced
Kytamy
5 days, 15 hours ago by Kytamy
I didn't expect such a prompt message, thank you! By leading string you mean other strings that were used for changing colors, right? So not the base ones. In that case I will try that. As for straight edges, I am planning to try it for my next bracelet, but since I started this one like this, there's nothing else to do but continue and then cut and tie it?
halokiwi
Moderator
halokiwi
5 days, 15 hours ago by halokiwi
You can ignore the first two paragraphs. They are more general advice/advice for future bracelets.
Kytamy
Advanced
Kytamy
5 days, 15 hours ago by Kytamy
Alright, thank you so much! 🤗
halokiwi
Moderator
halokiwi
5 days, 15 hours ago by halokiwi
Yes, leading strings are the strings that make the knots.

I don't think there is anything you can do but cut and tie. Some people use nail polish or glue to glue the ends of the leading strings down. I haven't done that because I think it might be scratchy.
halokiwi
Moderator
halokiwi
5 days, 15 hours ago by halokiwi
I thought the message with the image link was a direct reply to my reply and not an addition to the original message. I thought I had misunderstood something/not explained it properly/clear enough.
Kytamy
Advanced
Kytamy
5 days, 15 hours ago by Kytamy
No 😅 I simply posted the message, then read some more forum posts and saw people upload photos this way. Then to my surprise, you had already replied 😂 everything is clear now, so I really appreciate it since I thought I might just have to start another project in the meantime
Reply