how long your bracelet last?
Madji
Professional
Madji
4 years, 2 months ago by Madji
hey everyone! I'm very new to this, started making bracelets while on quarantine and fall in love with this!! I'm using spare threads we have around the house for my mom's knitting. it's cotton so it feels soft while also having a pretty pastle hue. but I'm afraid this kind of thread will get loose too fast, and also I'm not sure if I can shower and put the bracelet in water? my question is what kind of thread you use that last you the longest (especially if you go inside water and work while wearing it)?
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
4 years, 2 months ago by halokiwi
I've been wearing a bracelet made of a thread like you describe it I think since summer 2018 or 2017. I'm not entirely sure which year. So 1,5 or 2,5 years now.

It has lost some of it's colour and you can tell it's not brandnew but it's otherwise in really good shape. I take it off while showering but I've worn it during swim training many times. I think water and sun make it loose ist colour faster but I kind of like that effect.
Someone_
Bracelet King
Someone_
4 years, 2 months ago by Someone_
Heyy! Welcome to bracelet making😊!!
I have used a wide range of different threads for my bracelets: yarn, sock cotton, perle cotton, crochet thread, embroidery floss... And I wear a mixture of bracelets used out of those, and I never take them off. Two I have worn for about 4 years and its not frayed or anything, just lost colour (which is normal). I don't think the type of string matters too much as to how long it lasts, I may be wrong; I'm going by my experience.
Happy knotting! 🙂❤️
miraboo26
Bracelet King
miraboo26
4 years, 2 months ago by miraboo26
yeah i have this one chevron i’ve worn for 2 years and it’s still in decent shape. i’ve worn it swimming, i’ve washed it, and i’ve worn it in the sun. surprisingly, the colors are pretty vibrant still so it really just depends
Phoenix14
Bracelet King
Phoenix14
4 years, 2 months ago by Phoenix14
i use dmc embroidery floss, and it’s served me well. it’s definitely one of the pricier brands though. if you can get a 30% of everything coupon at michael’s, that helps! also, walmart has dmc floss sometimes, but not in every color
Madji
Professional
Madji
4 years, 2 months ago by Madji
oh I didn't even think about discoloration :0 I work in the sun a lot, it will be interesting to see what effect it will have on my bracelets hahaha
thanks everyone for the answers!
I guess I'll just have to wear them and see what happens, the thing is that I don't want to spend a lot of time on a pattern to have in ruined in a few days/weeks
Someone_
Bracelet King
Someone_
4 years, 2 months ago by Someone_
I get that. If you don't trust the thread much that you are currently working with, you could use them bracelets as bookmarks, and purchase some thread that you feel is more reliable for ones that you would like to wear. Just a thought. 🙂