Confusion FB and BF knots
melohana
Professional
melohana
4 years, 2 months ago by melohana
I’m confused, what is the purpose of a forward backward or backward forward knot on two strands of the same colors?

I thought that when using two strands of the same color it didn’t matter what direction I go...

Thank you 🙂
Beri
Bracelet King
Beri
4 years, 2 months ago by Beri
Yep! You’re correct! When knotting 2 strings together, it doesn’t what type of knot you do.
melohana
Professional
melohana
Thank you, I’m doing pattern 21100 and I got really confused as to why It said FB and BF knots on same colors strand. I was scared to deviate in case it messed up the bracelet.
BeadGirl16
Bracelet King
BeadGirl16
4 years, 2 months ago by BeadGirl16
Yeah it doesn’t matter, unless you want to wear it backwards and have all the knots look the same. Sometimes I change which string makes the knot if it’s between the same color. For example, if the pattern calls for a forward knot between two black stings, sometimes I’ll do a backward knot if that string is longer to help save string.
melohana
Professional
melohana
I do practice string saving hihi but what do you mean by wear it backwards?
jennanots
Advanced
jennanots
4 years, 2 months ago by jennanots
It doesn’t matter but sometimes the pattern will say to do a forward knot while the other side is a backward knot to help stabilize the bracelet and keep it straight because of you have a lot of knots going the same way, the bracelet can curve
melohana
Professional
melohana
That’s interesting, it make sense then why candy stripes always curl...
melohana
Professional
melohana
Thank you very much for your help, it’s much appreciated 🙂
LexiStilli
Skiller
LexiStilli
4 years, 2 months ago by LexiStilli
If it's the same color it doesn't make a difference. When they're two different colors, it keeps them in the same position instead of switching them.
So_Knotty
Bracelet King
So_Knotty
4 years, 2 months ago by So_Knotty
No purpose, they normally show up on accident when their are a lot of other ones in the bracelet or when they mean to put a knot somewhere but they put it in the wrong place and when they move the knots they forget to change the old one, either way it doesn’t matter
melohana
Professional
melohana
Oh ok I understand thank you very much for the explanation 😊
queenjst
Bracelet King
queenjst
4 years, 2 months ago by queenjst
When they are the same color it doesn’t matter what knot you make but if it’s two different color it does matter
SunCrafts
Professional
SunCrafts
4 years, 2 months ago by SunCrafts
Forward backward and backward forward knots change the direction in which the string is going.
tennistime
Bracelet King
tennistime
4 years, 2 months ago by tennistime
When there are two strings of the same color, it doesn’t matter what knot you make, it could be a forward knot, a backward knot, a forward-backward knot, or a backward-forward knot. But to ensure equal use of each string, try to do the same knot that you do when the pattern repeats. When you do a forward knot it moves the string from left to right by making a knot of the color of the string on the left. Then when it’s time to make that knot again (when you repeat the pattern) do the same knot. Which means that you are using the string that you didn’t make the knot with last time. This makes it so that each string is used equally and you don’t have uneven strings at the end. Overall, it’s just the best use of string.