help
megamel123
Advanced
megamel123
1 month, 1 week ago by megamel123
if it is 3x8 how long should it be in cm ????
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
1 month, 1 week ago by halokiwi
Is this an alpha pattern or a normal pattern?

An alpha patterns with these dimensions is 3 knots wide and 8 rows long. This is very small, not sure how small exactly, but I'd say smaller than the thumbnail of most people.

In an alpha pattern, the length of the base strings needs to be the length of the finished item plus some extra for ties and loop etc. You can just leave the leading strings on the skein and cut them in the end.

A normal pattern with these dimensions is also 3 knots wide. It has 6 or 7 strings. It also has 8 rows, but in normal patterns you usually repeat the pattern again, until it has reached the length of a bracelet, if you want to make a bracelet.

In normal patterns about 90cm of string are usually enough per string. Double that amount, if you are making a loop.
But depending on the pattern, some strings might need to be longer.

It would be good, if you could say what the pattern number is.
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
1 month, 1 week ago by halokiwi
I just checked your profile. I think it's probably pattern #163343, which is a normal pattern.

I have a formula for calculating string length. According to it, you need 82,5cm per string A, 107,5cm per string B and 70cm per string C. If you want to make a loop, you only need one string per colour, but double the length.
ningc98
Bracelet King
ningc98
1 month ago by ningc98
@halokiwi what’s your formula? i really need something for calculating string length for normal patterns because i always have too much leftover or it’s too short.
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
1 month ago by halokiwi
@ningc98

It's 45cm + percentage of rows in which a string makes a knot of its own colour. You have to count the knots until the strings are in the original position again.

Let's take pattern #150 as an example

For the 1st, 3rd, 6th and 8th string you need two repeats of the pattern until the strings are in the original position again. They make knots in 7 of 16 rows, which is 43,75%.

All four of them need to be 45+43,75=88,75cm long.

For the second and the second to last string you need two repeats of the pattern until they are in their original position again. They make knots in 5 of 16 rows, which is 31,25%.

They both need to be 45+31,25=76,25cm long.

For the 4th and 5th string you also need two repeats. They make knots in 9 of 16 rows, which is 56,25%.

They both need to be 45+56,25=101,25cm long.

Not sure, if this was the best pattern to explain.
ningc98
Bracelet King
ningc98
1 month ago by ningc98
ohhhhh i get it. thank you, this helps so much!
ningc98
Bracelet King
ningc98
1 month ago by ningc98
@halokiwi