Can I use acrylic yarn for alphas & other bracelets.
RubiDoobi
Advanced
RubiDoobi
1ย month, 1ย week ago by RubiDoobi
Hi, I'm a complete noobie when it comes to making bracelets as the only one I've made was a simple chevron pattern. This was done with embroidery thread which worked really well for me. However, as someone who loves to crochet, I have quite a bit of acrylic yarn and I'm wondering if anyone knows if this would work well or not. If it does, that would be super convenient considering I have very limited thread. Thankyou, and any other general tips and/or tricks for making bracelets would be great before I hop into it!
EggMan
Bracelet King
EggMan
1ย month, 1ย week ago by EggMan
It sort of depends on how you want the pieces to turn out. Any kind of string can be used in the friendship bracelet technique, the pieces just end up looking or feeling different.

For bracelets, I generally wouldn't recommend acrylic yarn of any weight above a 1 or a 2, as the resulting bracelet will likely come out very thick and warm, and, depending on the yarn, even itchy. Alize is a company that makes a lot of thinner yarns, and I know that there are quite a few bracelet makers that use their yarn for their works.

For anything that's not meant to be worn, any yarn could work, the result will just have a different vibe to it. As I'm sure you've noticed, acrylic yarns are often fuzzier than cotton thread, and so the resulting piece will be fuzzier to suit. That's not necessarily a bad thing, mind, it's just a matter of preference.

It also really depends on the kind of acrylic yarn that you have. Acrylic yarns are extremely versatile, and different yarns have different textures, and thus the results end up looking and feeling quite different depending on what you're using.

In short, if you like the texture of the yarn, use it. Thicker yarns are not as great for bracelets. Any kind of string can be used to create friendship bracelets. I hope this helps, and that you have a lot of fun with this new craft.
RubiDoobi
Advanced
RubiDoobi
1ย month, 1ย week ago by RubiDoobi
@EggMan Thankyou so much, this is really insightful! ๐Ÿ˜„