What changes count for adding a variation?
spacecasev
Advanced
spacecasev
1 month, 1 week ago by spacecasev
Hi, I learned how to make friendship bracelets and started using bracelet book just a few weeks ago! There are so many amazing patterns to choose from and having the variations at the top is very convenient. I was wondering if adding a variation is just for color changes? And if I find a pattern that is almost exactly what I'm looking for but I want a few small changes to the pattern, would that be something I could add as a variation? Or should that be its own new pattern since its more than a color change?
AlmaLlama
Bracelet King
AlmaLlama
1 month, 1 week ago by AlmaLlama
Even if you only make a few color changes on a pattern, you need to add is as a variation if it's still following the original structure.
spacecasev
Advanced
spacecasev
So if I wanted a slightly different pattern structure I would submit a new pattern?
EggMan
Bracelet King
EggMan
1 month, 1 week ago by EggMan
Basing a pattern on an existing one is a bit of a case-by-case deal. If you don't have explicit permission from the pattern's creator, you shouldn't post a pattern that is directly based on another one, as that is essentially stealing the design. Depending on how minor the changes are, you might be able to upload a picture to the existing pattern, and if not, than you can make the pattern for your own use, and simply not post it.

Variations only let you change the colors of the pattern, as well as thread order for normal patterns, so either way, you won't be able to change the structure of the pattern by trying to add a variation.

Also, if you want to reply to a specific person, you can tag them like so ⇾ @EggMan. When you tag a person, they get a notification that you mentioned them, and know to come and check the post.

I hope this helps! Feel free to tag me if you have any more questions, and don't forget to check out the guidelines and FAQ (found at the bottom of any page), as they have a lot of useful info. Welcome to the site!
spacecasev
Advanced
spacecasev
Got it! Thanks for clearing that up for me! @EggMan

If I was gonna make a pattern for my own use is there a way to save it? Is there a limit to how many new patterns can be in progress?
EggMan
Bracelet King
EggMan
1 month, 1 week ago by EggMan
I don't know if there is a limit to how many "in progress" patterns can be saved, but if it exists, it's a very generous limit. You can definitely save patterns on Braceletbook, but if you want to save more patterns outside of the site, there are a few ways to do so:

1. Take screenshots of the patterns, and save them on your computer/phone.

2. Save the written version of the pattern, along with the string order for normal patterns, and keep them in a text document. You can load them into Braceletbook whenever you want to use them. If you want them to have specific colors, I recommend preserving the hex codes you used as well, and keep note of the letters correlated to each color. This is particularly helpful if you want to have multiple versions of the same pattern.

3. Combine these two methods, and add the screenshots to the text doc. That can be helpful for remembering which text versions of the patterns are for which pattern.
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
1 month, 1 week ago by halokiwi
If you keep a pattern in your drafts without submitting our deleting it, it will stay there forever. This is what I recommend users to do for patterns they want for personal use only. As far as I know there is no limit to it.