keychain when alpha base strings are an odd number
mayamarino
Professional
mayamarino
2 months, 3 weeks ago by mayamarino
Im sure this question has been asked before but I can't seem to find it.

How do I set up the base strings on a keychain if there is an odd number of base strings?

like in pattern #143275 by @lilpiggy11 - the photo they posted of their pattern has less than 17 base strings attached to the keychain, and the first 2 or so rows have less than 17 knots across. How do you build up to 17?

thank uuuu 😊
trini2211
Bracelet King
trini2211
2 months, 3 weeks ago by trini2211
You could watch

https://youtu.be/cJdSRJoSbKs?si=GECpfAG877WCYUTk

This helped me a lot!
Str1ngz
Professional
Str1ngz
2 months, 3 weeks ago by Str1ngz
If you wanted your base strings to be a different colour, then what you can do is cut half the amount of base strings required and start your alpha like a regular alpha, but treat two of the strings as one singular string. For example, the pattern you want has 17 strings, so you would cut 9 base strings, which will leave you with 18 strings total. Then you would take two of those strings and tie a knot around both of them as though they were one string. This may affect your knot size, however once you've done this for a few rows, you can cut one string short so that your knot thickness isn't affected too much. I hope that made sense 😂
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
2 months, 3 weeks ago by halokiwi
You can also use one end of your leading string as the of base string.
EggMan
Bracelet King
EggMan
2 months, 3 weeks ago by EggMan
You got a couple good answers to the general question of setting up odd-numbered based strings, so if you are satisfied with those, awesome. I hope the keychain goes well.

In regard to @lilpiggy11's method of adding base-strings - I've never actually seen this technique before. If I had to speculate, I would guess they had some of the base strings added without tying them to the keychain - probably by just taping them to their work surface - then built up the number of base strings using the shaped alpha/triangle start technique. This is an educated guess, though, so if you want certainty, I suggest sending them a message asking how they did it. Hopefully this makes sense.

Thank you so much for bringing this up, this technique looks super cool, and I genuinely want to give it a try myself. I hope you have fun making your keychain 😄