Waxed cotton cord for bracelets?
TizziLizzi
Advanced
TizziLizzi
6 months, 4 weeks ago by TizziLizzi
Anyone used waxed cotton cord for bracelet making?
I bought some 1mm recently, but wondered if it would be too stiff for a bracelet. I plan to try it and maybe take the wax off the finished bracelet by ironing it between sheets of brown paper to absorb the wax. 🙂
TianaOsix
Professional
TianaOsix
6 months, 3 weeks ago by TianaOsix
I just started, and the few bracelets I've made I waxed the thread on my own and it works just fine, it's just a little thin. Im gonna try not waxing the thread next time to see which one I prefer I'll let you know. I only waxed it as a habit, f om waxing my sewing and beadwork threads.

I think the store bought stuff might be a little stiff, but you could always prepare it before use by bending it, twisting it, folding it, working it, etc. It takes away stiffness. Another thing you could try is heating it with a hair dryer or heat gun and quickly wiping off excess wax on paper towels.
TizziLizzi
Advanced
TizziLizzi
6 months, 3 weeks ago by TizziLizzi
@TianaOsix
Thankyou for the suggestion's. Good to know you have tried knotting with waxed string. One lot of my waxed strings are soft and another lot i got recently is quite stiff. I never thought of using a hair dryer to take off the wax if they don't soften up when working with them. 👍
Cindyknits
Advanced
Cindyknits
6 months, 3 weeks ago by Cindyknits
@TianaOsix What kind of wax do you use? And what thread?
TizziLizzi
Advanced
TizziLizzi
6 months, 3 weeks ago by TizziLizzi
@Cindyknits I bought the waxed cotton cord, i haven't made any, but I think the cotton is 6 stranded. so i think it could be cheaper to make it with a beeswax block.
TianaOsix
Professional
TianaOsix
4 months ago by TianaOsix
I've used a few different waxes/oils at this point, cocoa butter,soft candle wax, hard candle wax and soft cheese wax. I also just used Burt's bees lemon cuticle cream/oil. I really like how the Burt's bees (really light coat, go over thread one time softly) feels for cheap-ish perle cotton. For better 6 strand embroidery flosses I prefer the cocoa butter. For me I guess I prefer using oils rather than waxes for making bracelets. For beading I prefer the cheese wax.
TianaOsix
Professional
TianaOsix
4 months ago by TianaOsix
Even better, I just remembered someone mentioning they use a small spray bottle of water and lightly mist the thread as they're making it when needed. I'm about to start a new bracelet using that technique.
theginelle
Skiller
theginelle
3 months, 3 weeks ago by theginelle
I use primarily waxed polycord at this point. It is stiffer. It is also more durable for the wearer. I have been working with it since 2020. There are small multicolor packs of it out there that are not too expensive. It might be worth purchasing some just to play with to see if you like it.