How do you know how much string to use?
abeye7
Advanced
abeye7
3 years, 8 months ago by abeye7
Hello, beginner here!
How do you know how much string to use for a given project? How do you maneuver through a pattern with a large amount of string?
Thanks!
Nicole_E
Skiller
Nicole_E
3 years, 8 months ago by Nicole_E
The pattern says how many strings something is, if its an alpha then subtract one string from the total and that's the number of base strings, if your talking about the length of string then I usually do an arms width, if your talking about alphas with lots of string I usually just use string winded up in a spindle and unwind when needed, if I've misunderstood sorry,if you have any other questions feel free to ask,
Basilology
Bracelet King
Basilology
3 years, 8 months ago by Basilology
Usually I cut my strings this much-

String that makes the loop- 2 meters and 6 inches
Bracelet with loop- 2 meters
Bracelet without loop- 1 meter
Alpha base string without loop- 1 meter (I like to be safe)
Alpha base string with loop- 2 meters
Alpha leading string- 1 meter (you can always add more)

Sometimes, you would see a normal pattern with a bunch of knots with one color. Here are some examples-

#31368 (black color) and #35326 (cream color).

If you ever run across one of those patterns, I would add at the most 1 meter. It's okay if you run out of string. Even in a normal pattern, you can add more string. Alex's Innovations has a tutorial on that on Youtube. Search "How to replace broken strings".

Hopes this helps!
srhamy28
Bracelet King
srhamy28
3 years, 8 months ago by srhamy28
a good base length for string is a meter long each. this works most of the time, but for some patterns you need more/less. for example, pattern #36083. you use a lot more of color a in this pattern than color c, for example. color a, in this pattern, outlines all of the diamonds and goes across the entire bracelet. color c, however, only makes 3 knots per repetition of the pattern. obviously, you would need a lot more of color a. for this pattern, I would probably cut the strings for colors a and b longer than a meter, maybe 110-120cm total. I personally never cut my strings shorter than a meter, but you could probably get away with that in this pattern for color c, and possibly color e. really, you just have to analyze the pattern before you make it to see if any strings are used an excessive amount compared to the others. it takes practice to know exactly how much longer to cut them, but a meter is always a good length. even if you don't notice when a string will need to be cut longer, making it a meter long is fine. its just that you might run out of it part way through and have to add in a new one, which isnt hard to do. hope this helps.
abeye7
Advanced
abeye7
3 years, 8 months ago by abeye7
Thanks everyone for your replies!! I didn't expect a reply so fast, lol
This really helps me out, thanks again!! ❤️ ❤️
marina_tso
Advanced
marina_tso
3 years, 8 months ago by marina_tso
A great base length is about (for chevron) 3 times the size of your wrist! Hope this helped!