alpha patterns
erikaross
Skiller
erikaross
3 years, 8 months ago by erikaross
hey everyone 🙂 i’m not a newbie to bracelet making but i am a newbie to alphas! I was just wondering how everyone measures the length of string for the base strings?
aiden707
Bracelet King
aiden707
3 years, 8 months ago by aiden707
You could do that by measuring how many of your knotted rows make up 1 cm of the bracelet. You will get a rough idea of how long they need to be. Then according to the number of rows in the pattern, you can cut the string to the desired length, leaving any length for ties and such. Masha Knots also has a great video on it on her channel in her 5 Alpha Bracelet hacks video.
For example: i have a pattern with 100 rows. 1 cm of my bracelet is of 7 knotted rows of the alpha pattern. So to make 100 rows i will need 100/7= around 15 cm of string for the pattern. Then i will add some additional amount like say 10 cm on each side for my ties or loop.
I hope this was helpful 😄
JDor
Bracelet King
JDor
3 years, 8 months ago by JDor
I try to do each base string about 25-30 cm, unless it's a two tone alpha 🙂
Grace_13
Bracelet King
Grace_13
3 years, 8 months ago by Grace_13
I normaly cut my base strings about 12 inches but if you are making a loop you should cut them all about 24 inches.
knotnormal
Bracelet King
knotnormal
3 years, 8 months ago by knotnormal
When I make an alpha as a bracelet I make it long enough to wrap around my wrist twice
amwatson
Bracelet King
amwatson
3 years, 8 months ago by amwatson
I usually cut mine longer than needed just in case, roughly 60 or 70cm so that I have room for long enough ties on each side.
emordnilap
Professional
emordnilap
3 years, 8 months ago by emordnilap
So personally when I cut strings for normal patterns I do a wingspan, but for alpha base strings I make them end at my shoulder socket so it's about an arms length. I do end up with pieces left, so recently I make them slightly shorter and keychains I fold the arms length string in half, so it's 2.