how many knots should i add to a loop?
user10000
Bracelet King
user10000
3 years, 8 months ago by user10000
it’s my first time doing a loop and i’m having trouble deciding how many knots to add how many do you guys recommend?
estrange1
Bracelet King
estrange1
3 years, 8 months ago by estrange1
It depends on personal preference and the size of the bracelet. If you count a forward-backward knot as one knot, I'd say I make anywhere from 13-15 knots depending on the size. I always start with 10, see how much big it is compared to how big the bracelet will be, and go from there. It takes some trial and error, but the only "error" is your loop could be a little bigger than normal.
user10000
Bracelet King
user10000
@estrange1
user10000
Bracelet King
user10000
thank you^
user10000
Bracelet King
user10000
also in a tear drop loop what do you do if one color isn’t on both sides?
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
3 years, 8 months ago by halokiwi
MashaKnots has a video called "making a loop with odd number of thread" in which she explains how you can do it.

My advice for determining the best amount of knots for your loop is to unclip or untape your loop after you made some knots of the loop and fold it to see how big the loop would be. I'd say for a teardrop loop you need a little less knots since for a loop with triangle ends.
nev_m_07
Bracelet King
nev_m_07
3 years, 8 months ago by nev_m_07
I usually to 10-15
stewon6969
Bracelet King
stewon6969
3 years, 8 months ago by stewon6969
It depends on the width and length of your bracelet that you are going to be making! i normally make it so that it is an inch long then I fold it in half and start the bracelet!
marab
Bracelet King
marab
3 years, 8 months ago by marab
i like small loops so i do about 20 knots 🙂
Grace_13
Bracelet King
Grace_13
3 years, 8 months ago by Grace_13
I normaly make the loop about 1 inch.
iyamayam
Bracelet King
iyamayam
3 years, 8 months ago by iyamayam
I normally do 12-16 knots
Fluffball
Bracelet King
Fluffball
3 years, 8 months ago by Fluffball
As I told someone else, I have a little formula!

So you take the number of strings in your bracelet, subtract 2, and that will be the amount of knots in your loop!

For example:
You're making a 16 string bracelet. 16 - 2 = 14 loop knots!

Of course, it depends on your string thickness, knot tension, and preferred loop size, but I find that this usually makes a good-sized loop. If you prefer smaller loops you can subtract 3 or 4, instead of just 2.

Do whatever works for you!
user10000
Bracelet King
user10000
@Fluffball do i add that number of knots in total or do i double it for each half of the loop?
hannahab12
Bracelet King
hannahab12
3 years, 8 months ago by hannahab12
I think that everyone like them different, I usually just keep checking and curving it into position because I find it depends on the width of the bracelet for how big I want my loop!
Fluffball
Bracelet King
Fluffball
3 years, 8 months ago by Fluffball
@user10000 In total. 😊