Problem Keeping Alphas Straight
marvel21
Bracelet King
marvel21
3 years, 7 months ago by marvel21
Hello!
So I’ve been having this problem quite often. It happens with patterns larger than 20 strings and I don’t know how to fix it😩
So I start making an alpha and I’m using the flat alpha technique. What happens is that one side (usually the left side) is perfectly straight but then the other side ends up all wonky and kind of curvy. I see so many other peoples alphas and both sides are straight, but mine usually have one side that is and one side that isn’t 😩😩😩 If you know how to fix this or have any tips pls explain. Thanks!
aiden707
Bracelet King
aiden707
3 years, 7 months ago by aiden707
That usually happens when you are used to doing one kind of knot more than the other. For example I'm more used to forward than backward knots. It does take some time, practice and adjusting to get it just right no matter what technique you use. Knot tension may also be something that could be affecting the edges.
I also have a similar problem. I usually adjust the knots with my nails if they don't turn out right. That seems to help to make it more even.
I hope this was helpful in some way 😊
You will get better at it the more you make.
All the best 😄
marvel21
Bracelet King
marvel21
@aiden707 ok thx
marvel21
Bracelet King
marvel21
Also it’s more like the edges that end up off
rubisaa11
Bracelet King
rubisaa11
3 years, 7 months ago by rubisaa11
I would make sure that your knots are all even and are knotted with the same tension. This will help to keep your rows straighter and should help with keeping the edges straighter as well. You should also pay close attention to your edges when your knotting. Whenever I am making a bracelet with color switches on the end, I always spend more time on it to make sure that the edges are still straight. Also, don't feel afraid to use your fingernail to fidget with the bracelet. I often use my hands to play around with my alphas to make them straighter. Hope this helps! Happy knotting 😄
marvel21
Bracelet King
marvel21
@rubisaa11 Ok thank you!! This will hopefully help me 😊
skukreja1
Bracelet King
skukreja1
3 years, 7 months ago by skukreja1
watch masha knots video on youtube on how to make flat alphas! not only is the video about how to make them flat, but straight also! in that video she showed how to make alphas for beginners if you didn't already know how, then she went into detail into how to make them flat and straight! it really helped me and it might help you! 🙈
marvel21
Bracelet King
marvel21
@skukreja1 Thanks for the tip but I’ve already seen that video and I already use that technique. Thanks tho 😊
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
3 years, 7 months ago by halokiwi
I assume you're also using the straight edges technique. When you replace the first and the last knots of each row with bf knots on the left and fb knots on the right make sure you do that in every row. That means you have to make two bf or fb knots right after each other at the edge and not just one. I've seen people forgetting the second knot which leads to the edge curving.
marvel21
Bracelet King
marvel21
@halokiwi Thanks! I’ll keep that in mind
amwatson
Bracelet King
amwatson
3 years, 7 months ago by amwatson
The exact same thing happens when I use the straight edges technique, the left side ends up really straight while the right side usually goes all wonky and stretched. I’ve been trying to work on it by making my knots extra tight on the right side and that seems to be working for the most part.
marvel21
Bracelet King
marvel21
@amwatson Yay it’s not only me 😂 Ok thanks for the tip hopefully that will help 🙂
HorseGrl
Professional
HorseGrl
3 years, 7 months ago by HorseGrl
I use to feel the same way but I watched Masha knots video. When you get to the end of a row do a forward backward knot instead of a forward and vice versa for backward knots!!! Hope this helps 🙃
marvel21
Bracelet King
marvel21
@HorseGrl thanks but I already use that technique