First Alpha: any tips?
firemeow28
Advanced
firemeow28
3 years, 9 months ago by firemeow28
hey guys this is my first alpha! Im doing pattern #17080 but having the arrow be a diff color. Any tips are welcome, and feel free to friend me! thanks 😊
oddgymnast
Bracelet King
oddgymnast
3 years, 9 months ago by oddgymnast
Defiantly use the straight hedge and straight alpha technique!🙂
rubisaa11
Bracelet King
rubisaa11
3 years, 9 months ago by rubisaa11
Yes, I definitely recommend using the flat alpha and straight edges technique (there are videos on youtube and I recommend watching Masha Knots) But also be aware of your knot tension. I've found that when I don't make my knots too tight, it's easier for me to keep my alpha going in a straight line and the color switches turn out cleaner 🙂
Lizzie_Ann
Bracelet King
Lizzie_Ann
3 years, 9 months ago by Lizzie_Ann
I would recommend choosing a different pattern. I made the mistake myself of making a bigger alpha and it took me sooo long. I recommend doing a keychain sized alpha with barely any color switches because it helps you learn better. I would recommend a pattern like #50785. Good luck on your alpha!
JDor
Bracelet King
JDor
3 years, 9 months ago by JDor
I too may choose a different first alpha, because that has a lot of colors and color switches. Maybe choose a pattern with 2-3 colors, like a name bracelet. Also, maybe consider something that doesn't have color switches on the edges, like #40357 (but it is a super fun pattern to try when you are more experienced with alphas!). Maybe try something like #41977 or #38672... 🙂 🙂 🙂
1Dlover4
Professional
1Dlover4
3 years, 9 months ago by 1Dlover4
I would start with name friendship bracelets, or any that have two colors, instead of having to constantly move the string around which can be tricky you can make the second color your base string and knot with that one onto the leading string when needed - makes the process a little bit easier
arista_34
Advanced
arista_34
3 years, 9 months ago by arista_34
I would not start with a photo because they are harder to do. The pattern you chose might be a good one when you are more advanced in alphas. I recommend letters or simple photos. Good luck!
firemeow28
Advanced
firemeow28
3 years, 9 months ago by firemeow28
Thank you all! so ive switched to 41977 lol. thanks for saving me from lots of frustration 😅
Rg_Knots
Bracelet King
Rg_Knots
3 years, 9 months ago by Rg_Knots
Try a simpler pattern! The alpha you have picked is WAY too advanced for a beginner. I recommend #47568 which is the vertical wave bracelet. You should do this pattern with two colors instead of 5. Masha knots also has a great tutorial on this bracelet. Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVG81EMSFJg. I hope this helps! 🙂
nev_m_07
Bracelet King
nev_m_07
3 years, 9 months ago by nev_m_07
Here’s are some things I wish I did when I attempted my first alpha: 1. TAKE YOUR TIME! This is literally the most important thing on this list. Take time to count your base strings and make sure you have the right amount. Take time to read patterns, and take time to make sure that every knot is done properly. 2. Choose a simple pattern. I know it may be tempting to choose a pattern from your favorite tv show or movie, but you should start with something simple, with only a few colors to start. Then, once you are comfortable with simpler patterns, then you can make a more complex one. 3. Use the flat alpha technique. This technique literally makes your alphas SO much better! Regular color changes create a bumpy texture, but the flat alpha techinque helps eliminate that. If you don’t know how to use the technique, Masha Knots (aka @Racoon) has a great tutorial on this. That is really all I can tell you to help make your first alpha the best it can be. Utilize these tips and your bracelet should turn out decent! Good luck! 😉😄
jadeflwr13
Bracelet King
jadeflwr13
3 years, 9 months ago by jadeflwr13
a couple tips i wish someone had told me about alphas: don’t rush because you’ll miss something- in my first alpha i didn’t notice i had added an extra base string until i had done three rows. use the flat alpha technique, my first alpha was s o bumpy. the first one i tried was #1654, it only had 2 colors so it was a lot easier than a huge one with a lot of color changing. best of luck! 🎠💌🎡🍓
Indybaby17
Professional
Indybaby17
3 years, 9 months ago by Indybaby17
I recommend making a different pattern. Like pattern #292 because it only has two colors and only a few rows. I would look up Masha knots’ tutorials on straight alphas and the straight edges technique. They are very simple tutorials. I think it would be easier to make a keychain instead of a regular alpha.
vsco_love
Professional
vsco_love
3 years, 9 months ago by vsco_love
MAKE SURE YOU HAVE WATCHED @Racoon / Masha Knots FLAT EDGES ALPHA TECHNIQUE. also that alpha is very big, I recommend starting with one that has less than ten base strings just to get a feel for making alphas and switching colors

-vsco_love 😘