Professional
brookie_fs
9 years, 8 months ago by brookie_fs
What's the difference?
SBilbrey
Bracelet King
SBilbrey
9 years, 8 months ago by SBilbrey
Normal patterns are made up of four different kinds of knots that move diagonally. You'll need to know forward, backward, forward-backward, and backward-forward knots. For normal patterns, you set up your strings in pairs, and then tie a knot with each pair. For even-numbered pattern steps, you'll leave out the far left and far right strings and tie one less pair of knots. So if you're working on a ten string bracelet, you'll tie 5 knots for the first row, and 4 knots for the second row.

Alpha bracelets are made up of knots that move horizontally. You only need to know forward and backward knots for these patterns. You won't be tying your knots in pairs like with normal patterns. For alphas, you let your base strings hang (you will almost never tie knots with your base strings). Then you'll need one REALLY LONG knotter string. That the string you use to tie your knots onto your base strings.

As far as look, normal patterns usually have more of an abstract, tribal look. Alpha patterns are used to make letters, numbers, and pictures. You can use cross stitch, perler bead, or bead-weaving patterns for alpha patterns. Pretty much anything that's built on a grid can be used as an alpha pattern.

I hope that makes sense! I know I can get rather wordy. You should also check the tutorial section. There will be tutorials on how to read each pattern, how to tie each knot, and how to work both patterns.
malteser
Beginner
malteser
4 years, 1 month ago by malteser
Thank you so much! I know the knots, but have never tried an alpha pattern.
kreedknits
Advanced
kreedknits
3 years, 8 months ago by kreedknits
https://www.braceletbook.com/users/18717_SBilbrey/ Thanks!!!